W.R. HODGENS MARINE INSURANCE, Inc.
Yacht Insurance Specialists
2017 Hurricane Season Updated Outlook
July 12, 2017- The hurricane forecasters have updated that the 2017 Hurricane Season will be above normal. El Nino is not expected to occur in the Pacific effecting hurricane development in the Atlantic and above normal warming in the Atlantic is present.
There have been many improvements announced by the National Hurricane Center (NHC) for the 2017 season. Chief among them are:
- Storm Surge Watch/Warnings The NHC has rolled out an improved Storm Surge forecasting with better graphical input. Storm Surge is important to mariners with yachts to know if a dock or anchorage will become untenable during a storm. Sample graphic shown below.
- Issuance of Watches, Warnings, and Advisories for Potential Tropical Cyclones The NHC will now issue potential storm info before storms form as tropical disturbances develop. This will give more time for people to plan and prepare for storms and hurricanes.
- Experimental Time of Arrival of Tropical-Storm-Force Winds Graphic The NHC will make available a better detailed graphic for the movement of storms as shown below.
- Update to tropical cyclone advisory graphical products The NHC has updated their long familiar forecast graphics using better fonts and colors to make and easier to read graphic as shown in the sample below. Once again the cone size has narrowed with the additional input of past hurricane seasons. Other graphics for wind speed predictions, wind history, etc. have been updated, too.
- Other 2017 Updates The NHC has added more Twitter accounts to narrow the info sought:
Hurricane Storm Surge Sample Forecast
Storm Surge Explanation Video
Hurricane Forecast Graphic Details
Hurricane Forecast Graphic Updates
@NWSNHC - Interactive Outreach
@NHC_TAFB - The Tropical Analysis and Forecast Branch (TAFB)
@NHCDirector - The NHC Director, Dr. Richard Knabb
2017 Hurricane Season Updates and Changes
For yacht insurance you can rely on W.R. Hodgens Marine Insurance for the best insurance quote available. Be ready for any weather eventuallity. Use the Yacht Insurance Quote Form for fast action or Contact Us for more insurance info.